Top tips when selling a house in Bolton
Our top tips when selling your home
Whether you are a first timer or a veteran with several house moves behind you, it always pays to have a checklist for the key items you will need to concentrate on in order to make selling your house as stress free as possible. The team here at Edwards has put together some top tips based on our decades of experience.
1) Choose the right estate agent
While you might think that all estate agents are pretty much the same you should take the time to get to know which one would work the hardest to achieve a sale for you. Personality and enthusiasm, high street, online and print presence and the quality of marketing material needs to be checked thoroughly and at Edwards we also recommend the following:
- Have valuations from two or three agents before you decide.
- Do not sign any contracts with binding tie in periods.
- Ask for evidence around their ability to achieve the best asking price in the shortest time.
2) Take the time and effort to stage your home
- Make sure your garden is clean and tidy – it’s the first thing a potential buyer sees – and take care of any external repairs too.
- Consider a fresh coat of neutral- coloured paint – especially if your rooms are a little loud right now.
- Do all of those niggling little jobs inside – sort out anything that might put a buyer off.
- The kitchen is the most valuable room in your home and can be the deal maker or breaker for some buyers – now might be the right time for an uplift or a facelift?
- Make it look pretty – nicely dressed windows, houseplants and flowers and a lovely bowl of fruit in the kitchen all add to the ‘kerb appeal’.
- Declutter but don’t depersonalise – remember you are selling a home.
- And finally, make sure your house is scrupulously clean and free of smells (even this morning’s cooking) as this can be seriously off putting for potential buyers.
3) Accompanied viewings are a must
Use the skills and experience of your estate agent to highlight the features of your property with accompanied viewings. Much more than just following a potential buyer around your home, they should take the time to get to know the property and of course have detailed knowledge of the area which allows them to answer any questions raised and really sell the potential. Edwards always recommend you book a walk through with our viewings manager to help him prepare to present your home. Finally, accompanied viewings really do take the pressure off you, the client, during this critical stage in the sales cycle.
4) Understanding your potential buyers
Always ensure that your estate agent offers a full review of potential buyers when offers are submitted. What is their current situation – cash buyer or chain? Do they have a mortgage in principle? Why are they moving? Answers here can help you quickly sort out the wheat from the chaff and make a more informed decision when accepting an offer.
"Sound advice and excellent communication"
I was absolutely delighted to receive a superb, professional service from Edwards. Sound advice and excellent communication made me confident that the marketing and sale of my property was in very good hands. Many thanks to Deidre Golding and her team for bringing that about successfully. I would not hesitate to recommend Edwards to any potential sellers!
"I have no hesitation in recommending Edwards"
All the staff were very helpful and eased what could have been a difficult sale. They were all very professional and I have no hesitation in recommending Edwards to other sellers!
Mrs Middleton May 2019