Top Tips - Renting a property in Bolton
Our top tips when looking to rent in Bolton
Especially if you are new to renting a property, we have put together a few handy pointers to help you avoid some common pitfalls as you move into your new home, based on our extensive experience in the property lettings business.
1) Be financially prepared
Before you start looking for a property, you need to make sure that you understand and are prepared for the costs associated with renting a property. These include any fees for setting up the rental agreement – including the necessary credit and identity checks that must be performed – your security deposit and first month’s rental in advance and of course the cost of physically moving. It’s also a very good idea to check your credit report ton make sure there are no adverse reports or mistakes that might cause you to fail a credit check.
2) What is it you are looking for?
It may seem a bit obvious but we do recommend you carefully list the key things you are looking for in a property before you start your search.
- Where do I want to (or need to) live?
- How many bedrooms do I need?
- Do I need a garden or a garage?
- Do I have my own furniture or do I need a furnished property?
- How long do I intend to stay there?
- Do I have any pets?
Once you have nailed down your criteria you are then in a position to review the market for a specific property type or take your requirements and register them with an estate agent that specialises in residential lettings. Given the speed at which good quality rental properties are snapped up, Edwards would always recommend you register if at first you don’t find what you are looking for.
3) Always check the paperwork
It is important that you check all paperwork associates with your rental thoroughly:
- Make sure that you understand the tenancy agreement and any special conditions
- Examine the check in inventory within three days of check in before you sign it and as an extra safeguard take your own photographs before submitting to your estate agent
- Make sure that you have the following as required by law:
- A copy of the guide ‘How to Rent”
- Deposit Protection Scheme documentation
- Gas Safety and Energy Performance Certificates
- PET information
You should also expect instruction guides for the heating system and any appliances as well as any alarm system, with emergency contacts for the landlord or agent (if under a fully managed agreement).
"Sound advice and excellent communication"
I was absolutely delighted to receive a superb, professional service from Edwards. Sound advice and excellent communication made me confident that the marketing and sale of my property was in very good hands. Many thanks to Deidre Golding and her team for bringing that about successfully. I would not hesitate to recommend Edwards to any potential sellers!
"I have no hesitation in recommending Edwards"
All the staff were very helpful and eased what could have been a difficult sale. They were all very professional and I have no hesitation in recommending Edwards to other sellers!
Mrs Middleton May 2019