With its name probably derived from the old English hlose- pig and stoc meaning a farm, its history dates back to the middle ages when it was part of the barony of Manchester. Neighbouring Chew Moor later developed as the principal settlement of the hamlet with its cluster of cottages housing labourers and tenant farmers.
Lostock Hall, an Elizabethan manor house, was built for the Anderton family in 1563 – demolished in 1824, the grade 2 listed gatehouse still remains today. In the ward of Heaton and Lostock, the area is a rich mixture of imposing properties and newer developments alongside major road arteries yet with open countryside never too far away. It is recognised as one of the premier residential areas in the town.